Saturday, July 14, 2018

Plants are a Part of Our Lives

What kind of plants were grown in your home?

Did your family grow houseplants?  Did you grow them to add beauty to your home?  Did you grow them to absorb toxins in the home?  Did you grow them to eat?  Did they grow really well, or did they struggle to live, or did they even die?

My mother grew geraniums in our kitchen window.  I remember how pretty they were when they bloomed with red flowers.  They had a smell that when I smell it even now reminds me of my home when I was growing up.

Over the years I started growing houseplants that would clean the air like spider plants, aloe vera plants, and others.  I tried growing dwarf orange and lemon trees which didn't do very well.  One of my daughters planted a seed from an orange and it grew pretty big, but not to the point of getting any fruit.  I tried planting a pineapple top, and although it grew big, it never produced a pineapple.  I was given a Christmas Cactus plant which is fun to see if it will bloom for Christmas.

Write about the houseplants you may remember from your childhood as well as the ones you have grown yourself.  If you remember your grandparents growing houseplants write about those too.  Take photos so you can remember those plants.  Write about what you learned about growing plants.  Write about your successes and your failures.  Houseplants add to the atmosphere in a home and they can trigger memories.  Those memories will add to your story.


No comments: