Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What is Your Favorite Song?

 Here's another question to answer to add to your story:
What is your favorite song and why?
I think it is really hard to pick one favorite song.  I find at times I really like a certain song because of the meaning and because of the music.  When I've practiced a song with a choir for a performance, I usually come to really like the song.  I hear it in my mind over and over even when we are not practicing.  Some songs from my childhood such as "I Am A Child of God" still mean a lot to me.  I use "I Am A Child of God" as a way to get rid of thoughts or music that I don't want in my mind.  Maybe someone used swear words around me and they keep popping into my mind or maybe a song that I don't like the meaning of starts playing over and over in my head because I heard it on the radio that day.  I start to sing the song in my mind and before long the words or the song I don't like disappear from my mind.  The music I hear and sing at church is very powerful to me because I love the messages in the songs.

I also like other music.  Since being in the band in junior high and high school, I love marches.  When I need energy I like to listen to marching music.  I also like the music from the three musicals that I played in the stage band for--The Sound of Music, The King and I, and Hello Dolly.  I enjoy classical music too.
 I like some of the popular music from the time I was growing up.  Unfortunately now as an adult, I am bothered by the meaning behind some of music such as promoting drug usage.  Some of the music actually had different words which weren't allowed back then, but today they play the original words despite their blatant messages.


If you are like me you can't pick just one song as your favorite.  I think it's okay to have several favorite songs.  But writing down what music you do like and why can greatly add to your story.

No comments: