Thursday, May 20, 2010

Did You Serve in the Military?

Another idea to write about in your life story:

Did you serve in the military?  Did you have family members who served in the military?  What are your feelings about serving in the military?

I never served in the military.  My sister got a draft notice for the Vietnam War.  Young men were the only ones being drafted.  My sister's name was very unusual.  I've never met anyone with her name.  It was two men's names put together.  To me, it was a feminine name because it was my sister's name.  I guess the draft board didn't look at the gender on any of her records and they only went by her name.  My parents helped her point out that she was a woman and should not be drafted.  
My dad was called up for World War II.  He went in for a physical and when blood was withdrawn for testing his arm became paralyzed.  He was dismissed as not being physically fit for service.  His arm didn't remain paralyzed but he wasn't allowed to serve in the military.
I have had some involvement with the military though.  As a young woman, I worked at Tooele Army Depot.  Then twenty-some years ago I moved with my husband as he took a job at Hawthorne Army Ammunition Depot.  The community is very supportive of the military both in actual physical support by supplying and storing weapons since before World War II and emotionally supportive with a Veteran's Memorial Park and a big Armed Forces Day Celebration.






Personally I don't like war and I hope to never have to fight in a war, but I truly appreciate those who are willing to fight and to even give their lives for our freedom. 

No comments: