Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Family Tree

This past week went by really fast.  I have been working on a special gift for my daughter.  It has taken me longer than I thought to complete, and I'm not sure I'm through with it yet.  I made a family tree with photos. I put in photos I have of ancestors and then I searched online for more photos.  I put in names of great grandparents and great great grandparents and I was amazed at how many photos I found.  It is interesting to see how much we look like some of our ancestors.  My dad looks a lot like his mother's father.  My sister looks a lot like our dad's mother.  Although I've had names and birth dates and birth places and other information on my ancestors before, I have found some photos I never saw before.  A photo makes a great grandparent seem more real even though you knew they were real before.  It does make a difference to be able to see what they looked like.  This has been a project that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

If you don't have photos of all your ancestors but you do have their names, try putting the names in a search box and see what you can find.  Contact any family members also and see if they have photos that you can get copies of.  Then try putting the photos in a regular pedigree chart or create your own family tree like I did.

No comments: