Monday, January 18, 2010

Celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday

Martin Luther King, Jr. is a very recent holiday first observed in 1986.  I don't have any family traditions in observing this holiday as I have for other holidays.  This year I read about the day being called a Day of Service which was signed into law in 1994.  I now have a way to celebrate by doing some kind of service. One suggestion I read was to make a donation for relief to the victims of the earthquake in Haiti. Other suggestions are to volunteer for some kind of community service, to visit shut-ins or extended care facilities, or to help the less fortunate.  It is great to have a Day of Service, but think how great it would be if we gave service on a regular basis throughout the year.
To add to your family story write down what kinds of service you have done in your life and how you felt about it.

No comments: